Monday, May 16, 2011

Hello, Lunch!

A couple months ago my wonderful future in-laws came to see me and chef in the city. We took them to our favorite restaurant, Neptune Oyster. Let me give you a little background on my experiences at Neptune...My first experience I was introduced to oysters, and I fell in love. My second time it was sea urchin, delicious! And by the fourth or fifth time I was getting really brave.... I thought I was surprise chef and order something really crazy that even he WOULDN'T like ( Note to self...chef eats everything, and I mean everything! )Octopus cocktail was on the menu, and me and my brave self ordered one right up. It was not what I expected at all. I was thinking that tentacles, long nasty arms, and a huge head would be arriving on our table and scare the pants off him! WRONG. What appeared was a very colorful dish, that almost reminded me of a pasta salad. So the joke was on me, Brian LOVES octopus. And of course, being the future wife of a chef, I needed to do my wifely duty and try it as well. Brian's favorite saying for me since we first met has been, "Don't knock it till you try it." (growing up we weren't exposed to many exotic foods, ketchup was considered a spicy seasoning). Well I took a big, heaping bite....and LOVED IT! It had a wonderful vinegar and cilantro flavor that was heavenly. So ever since then, when we bring people to Neptune, I insist that they try the Octopus cocktail. So chef and I brought his parents and made them try it, and they too fell in love. So months pass and Mother's Day is around the corner and my lovely chef decides that he is going to remake the cocktail for his mother who really enjoyed it. Chef asks is he can finish the dish at home, if he starts it at work. I remember how delicious the finished product looked at the restaurant, so why would I hesitate to not let him make it at home?  RULE #1 about living with a chef...NOTHING EVER STARTS OUT LIKE IT ENDS! This is what I came home too...


Not okay...this is NOT OKAY! Long story short, the finished product was delicious, but next time I don't want to be a part of the process. Just let me eat :)

1 comment:

  1. Can I be the first to say... Ewww gross!!!!! ;) I love you, my adventurous best friend!

    ReplyDelete